Sunday, September 11, 2011

I haven't forgotten

I woke up this morning with many thoughts, memories, and emotions about this day ten years ago. I got out my journal to see what I had recorded. In addition to my journal entries, I found a few newspaper and Internet articles that I had saved. Among the articles saved was the remarks made by Pres. George W Bush on the National Day of Prayer and Remembrance. We are here in the middle hour of our grief. So many have suffered so great a loss, and today we express our nation's sorrow....our purpose as a nation is firm yet our wounds as a people are recent and unhealed and lead us to pray. God's signs are not always the ones we look for. We learn in tragedy that His purposes are not always our own. This world He created is of moral design. Grief and tragedy and hatred are only for a time. Goodness, remembrance, and love have no end. The Lord of life holds all who die and all who mourn. As we have been assured, neither death nor life nor angels nor principalities nor powers nor things present, nor things to come nor height nor depth can separate us from God's love. May He bless the souls of the departed. May He comfort our own. And may He always guide our country.

The morning of September 11, 2001 began as many other days for me. I was teaching Early Morning Seminary and got to the church at 6:15 a.m. The students began arriving about 6:25. One student came in saying that a plane just hit one of the towers of the World Trade Center. Although it seemed like a bad accident, I certainly wasn't prepared for what I heard when my class was over and I was driving home listening to the news on the car radio. I was glued to the television for the rest of the day. I seemed unable to do anything else. I was in shock! In the coming days, thanks to the guidance of our leaders, the healing could begin.

It is hard to believe that 10 years has passed since that day. This event will forever be in the hearts of those who lived through it...it will be for our generation as the Pearl Harbor attack was for the previous generation.

God Bless America, Land that I love!


3 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Truly a day that none of us will ever forget.

sharon kaye said...

Even though it was a terrible time, I remember how unified we felt as a nation and how patriotic everyone was for awhile. I miss that. Today we watched 9/11: Rising Above on lds.org and also a survivor tell his experience on Mormon Messages. They were both very inspiring.

Kris said...

Yes, I remember it all as if it were yesterday. Such a sad, sad day for Americans! I spent the morning watching the news, and crying as we watched footage from that terrible day. I love President Bush!!!