Monday, April 28, 2008

Have you done your Visiting Teaching?

A few weeks ago, I was visiting teaching my friend, Wendy. She mentioned that she'd recently had a few pre-cancerous spots removed. I asked her what a pre-cancerous spot looks like. As she described it, I asked her, "do you mean like this?" as I pointed to a spot on my face. She told me that she wasn't a doctor but yes, that was what hers looked like and I needed to have it looked at.

Now that I knew what I was looking for, I scoured my entire body for these little spots and was sure I'd found about 8 of them. So today I had a visit with a dermatologist and showed him all of the spots. Only one of them was a "spot." The other ones were broken blood vessels and sun spots--a result of aging and living in the sun belt. Anyway, he took out his can of liquid nitrogen and burned it right off my face. OUCH! And that was that.

So the moral of this story is: Do your visiting teaching...it might save your life.

8 comments:

sharon kaye said...

You were the best VT I have ever had. I used to compare other VT to you and then decided that wasn't fair to them. The ladies you visit are very blessed.

everyday katie said...

Uhhhh...how come you didn't tell me this? I spoke to you yesterday.

Kelly said...

Wow! I am actually visiting one of the girls I teach today, she just had her thyroid removed yesterday!! They were supposed to just take a nodule off it, but found cancer, so took the whole thing- I am not sure what the future holds, meds, I know, but that is really scary. I am not a big fan of VT, honestly, I don't really love either side of it, but I do love my companion and the 2 girls we teach, so it makes it a little easier. I will be sure to go this week- so grateful you did yours, huh? Glad all is well.

Sundbergs said...

THat sounds painful. What a dedicated woman you are. YOu back porch looks great by the way

Cynthia said...

It's almost the end of the month and I haven't had a life-saving medical checkup for a while. I'm going to do my visiting teaching RIGHT AWAY!!
You sure were talking to the right person at the right place at the right time. That was meant to be.

Autumn said...

Wow. What a good benefit of visiting teaching!! I'm so glad you went!!

Roberts Family Ramblings said...

Oh my gosh!!! I am so glad you had it looked at! I truly love you and look forward to you and Kathy coming by each month. Ouch is right but it will soon be over (took me about 2 weeks) and it really doesn't leave a scar. Just kind of a little "variation" of skin tone. Makeup hides it really well. Hang in there and don't forget your sunscreen! :)

Rachel Helton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.