Arizona is the only place that I know of that has to plant a second lawn when winter comes around. The grass that is durable enough to withstand summer temperatures of 100+ degrees goes dormant in the winter. So, when the temperatures get below 90 degrees (about October), people begin scalping their lawn and throwing down new seed. In about 10 days, a new green lawn starts to apear. The first year I lived here, I didn't do it and was sorry. The grass looks brown and dead by January.
So for the past 4 years, I join others in putting in a winter lawn--OK, I don't actually do it, I have my gardener do it for me--but this is the result:
So for the past 4 years, I join others in putting in a winter lawn--OK, I don't actually do it, I have my gardener do it for me--but this is the result:
I love this time of the year when my lawn turns a lush green.
And while we're on the subject, this is what my neighbor's "lawn" looks like. A lot of people in Arizona opt for no lawn and plant rocks. It reminds me of a mobile home park.
Oh, if you click on the picture of my house, you can see that I too have rock in my yard. I have hauled all of it out in the back yard and have nice flower beds but to do it in the front yard is a large and daunting project.
10 comments:
What a beautiful welcoming yard you have! We are in dire need of redoing our lawn and sprinklers. We need to throw down winter seed too, but Greg wants to skip it since he is planning to redo the lawn. But I hate the dormant look in winter!
Yours is gorgeous!
PS I love reading your comments on my page!
Beautiful green lawn. My husband would be very envious. He has a thing for green grass..LOL. I hate the 'rock yard'. There is a house by my parents that have all rocks instead of grass, and I just hate it!
Your yard is beautiful! I love nice green lawn.
I love the green!! It makes things look cooler --almost like you don't live in a desert. I'm sure you enjoy this time of year when everything cools down a bit.
It amazes me that the sun doesn't scorch the grass there- it certainly does here!! I do my own yard, put down the fertilizer and weed n feed, all that and my yard still looks crappy!! Yours is gorgeous and I love all the landscaping!!
At least you have the option of grass in the winter....too darn cold here to even imagine lush green grass from November- march. Doesn't matter though, even if we did- it would be too covered with snow anyway!
Wow that was so educational! Thanks for filling me in on AZ lawns, thats wild! I lived in Vegas for 3 months and laughed many many times when I saw rock lawns. I kept wondering if anyone there knew just how awesome GRASS lawns were! Some people had small patches of grass, and that was luxurious. Enjoy the green!
Very nice lush green grass Lauri! We just recently hired gardeners and they reseeded our front lawn. I was amazed at how bright green the new grass is. I can't wait until they do the back as well. And the best part is that we get to enjoy it, but didn't have to do it! Yours looks very nice. Beautiful home.
beautiful lawn... ours is going dead already due to the freezing weather... not just under 90. Thats seriously incredible.
And about my moms blog... she thinks there is a virus in their computer at home, so they need to get it in and fixed. I let her know you were anxiously waiting her next post.
Lauri, the fire actually started in Corona off of green river.
Went through Anaheim hills, yorba linda, Brea and is now in Diamond bar. Its funny that the news is saying LA area when its orange county/riverside!!
Post a Comment