Sunday, November 2, 2008

Swiftly fly the years...

I love having adult children. I love the newly defined relationships as they grow up, live their own lives, have their own opinions, etc. Katie once told me that she thought Kevin and I had been successful in raising our children because "we are all independent thinkers" (her words). I think there's a lot to be said for that and as they grow and mature, I have learned so much from each of them on so many levels. Each of my children are very different in their ideology but very right on in their desire to do right and be good. Today Jeff and I had dinner together--he cooked for me; more on that later--and we sat at the table and discussed politics, religion, and just the world around us. It was invigorating.


So, about the meal...Jeff has become a connoisseur of fine food and is good at replicating what he eats when he eats out.
He made a gourmet panini that included apricot aoili (I didn't even know what that was but it is an apricot/mayonnaise spread), black forest ham, and brie cheese on fococia bread spread with olive oil and parsley then grilled on the panini maker. He also served red hot fries--oven baked with crushed red peppers and chili powder and served with crumbled bleu cheese and spicy ketsup for dipping. It was delicious. We were going to make a pazooki for dessert but we were both stuffed. That will have to be another day. All in all, a fun afternoon.

9 comments:

Kris said...

Wow, way to go Jeff! Is he interested in a career in the culinary arts? I sure wish I had gone to culinary school! I love it. His meal looked and sounded spectacular...but a wee too fattening for me. Still have to shed 20 pounds!!
I am in agreement with your comments on having grown children. It is so interesting to see how they have become their own people.
And especially, to be witness to their parenting!

Kelly said...

That meal sounds delicious! I like trying new dishes and how fun to do it with your son!! Love that kind of quality time!

Cynthia said...

Isn't Jeff still traveling with his job? He wrote about being home, I thought it was just for a weekend.
What a great meal. Way to go, Jeff.

Genn said...

Wow, what an impressive talent Jeff has! I'd love a bite of that panini! Glad you enjoyed a nice dinner with him. As a grown adult one of your childrens ages, I must say that I really enjoy the relationship with my parents and how it has changed as I have grown too. Us kids are lucky to have such great parents like you guys. It is sad to think there are so many who grow up in such different environments than we did.

Kelly said...

Wow, impressive! That meal looks delicious!

I also agree with Genny. I love how my relationships with my parents has evolved and I love spending time with them!

Debbie Jones said...

Lauri,
Your blog is a real blessing to me. I am so glad I found it. You help me keep my perspective as I deal with life's challenges. Yes, adult children are wonderful, but sometimes getting them to the "adult" and "wonderful" part is interesting (to say the least). Love ya.

amelia said...

Dang, I am jealous. I want someone to cook gourmet for me too!

jeanine said...

Yum... that dinner sounds delicious! Way to go Jeff!

Autumn said...

WOW. Very impressive. Recipes please?