Monday, March 8, 2010

Big Mike

It's another late night at the hospital. For those of you who haven't heard, Michael was in a serious motorcycle accident last Monday night as he was coming home from Lisa (his fiance) home. He has been unconscious for a week. His body is beginning to heal...he had reconstruction surgery on his face, today had a rod put in to his leg to repair his femur, his scrapes are beginning to heal but his brain experienced severe trauma and that is the cause of our extreme concern.

We have seen and experienced miracles almost daily. Some of the nurses here have been angels to Michael and to us as we keep our vigil by Michael's side. His friends have been here almost constantly just sitting in the waiting room to offer support. I even had friends from Corona who now live in Utah who have come by.

Lisa is an amazing woman. I feel like it has been real gift to get to know her at this level and to feel her strength through this challenge. She has shared so many stories with me about her relationship with Michael and we have laughed and cried together on many occasions. It also does my heart good to hear all of the kind things that people have to say about my son. He hasn't lived at home for 8 years so it has been good to see who he have become as a man. All of his friends call him Big Mike and have expressed to me how many quiet acts of service he has done for them.

Please continue to offer your prayers in his behalf. We can feel the strength from them. I will update you as there is something to update about

18 comments:

Genn said...

Oh Lauri, I am thinking of you all so often. You are in my prayers daily. I'm glad that there are many family members and Mike's friends there with you and Lisa. She sounds like a very courageous woman. Much like yourself. I hope you are okay.

Big Hugs and Much Love to you all,
Genn

sharon kaye said...

Thank you for continuing to update us. Mike, you, and your family are constantly in our prayers. Tonight Jacob prayed for "Brother Benson". I guess he couldn't remember Mike's first name, but I was impressed that he remembered on his own to pray for him--even though he doesn't know him.

Kris said...

Oh Lauri.....I have been watching so closely on my blogroll, for either you or Katie to update us on Mike's condition. We have been praying for his healing, and for strength for all of you, as you assist him on hid road to recovery. Know that you are in our thoughts, every day, and even in the wee hours of the night, as I slip in and out of sleep, I am saying healing prayers.
Love,
Kris

Sheryl said...

oh, sweet girl. What a hard thing this is. You are once again showing us all amazing courage in difficult times. You give us strength. I attended the twins blessing in Citrus Hills (Corona 4th) And their first announcement was to make sure all included Michael and you in their fast, as we all were doing. My sincere prayers and my heart is with you. Love you girlfriend!

Amanda B. said...

We are all praying and fasting here for him and all of you as well. Even my kids have added him to their prayers. :)

Rebecca Carter said...

Lauri, we are so sad to hear about this. You will all be in our prayers. Everyone needs strength at this time.

With love and concern,

Rebecca and Harvey

Anonymous said...

Oh gee Lauri, I had no idea. I'm so sorry to hear about Michael's accident. Please know that I will be thinking of you and praying for Michael's complete recovery.

The Lowes said...

Lauri,
My prayers and thoughts are with you and with your Mike. I hope you are taking care of yourself so you can take care of your son.

Tammy said...

I could not believe this news when I read it on Katie's blog yesterday. We've been busy moving and I hadn't been keeping up on the blog world. We're keeping you all in our prayers. I'll be watching for updates.

DiMDiT said...

Dear Lauri, Tom and I add our wishes for a strong recovery for Michael. This must be so hard for you and everyone who loves him. We wish you the strength to stand up under this hardship. Our prayers are with you. Donna T.

Bryan and Lindsay said...

Hi Lauri, I lived with the Eynons one summer when you still lived in Corona. Mike and I were good friends for a long time. I am here in Utah and am willing to help out in whatever way I can for you and your family. Know that Mike is in our prayers and so is the rest of the Benson Family. If you need a place to stay or anything please let me know.

lizzyandpop said...

You and Mike are in my prayers.

Jan's Blog said...

Lauri,
Kevy told me about Mike! Instantly my prayers began to ascend in his and your behalf. One of my dearest friend's son received a TBI a few years ago. I know that the long road you are on right now is so full of uncertainty and pain. My heart is FILLED with compassion and hope. I am sending LOVE to you and the power of Faith. I look forward to your updates.
Sheri, my friend, began a scrapbook to keep the family occupied during the long hours at the hospital. They kept track of every visitor, took photos, saved letters, cards etc. Not only is it precious to them now it felt so good to have something to do. Just an idea I thought you would like. Someday, you may want to talk to Sheri. She told me to tell you that it will help you a lot to talk to people with the same experience. There is a wealth of knowledge, wisdom and advice just a phone call away.

Kris said...

That comment from Jan is really ME! Jan is visiting me. I didn't realize that I was typing under her sign in. Sorry.

Kelly said...

I'm thinking of you and your family daily. We've been praying.

Kelly said...

Your family is in our prayers every day= we fasted on Sunday for him as well...you are in many of our thoughts and prayers and you are so loved...
Please take care.

Natalie said...

Laurie,
You are all in my prayers.

Kris said...

Oh my goodness Laurie. I have been so saddened to hear this news. He is in our prayers. You have the strength of a giant and I'm so glad you are there with him.