Saturday, April 14, 2012

M*O*M

April 12 was my mother's birthday.  She would have been 78 years old.  That is hard to imagine since she was such a young woman (only 35 years old) when she died and she has been gone more than 40 years.  Last week I was thinking about what our relationship would have been had she been around when I was an adult.  I'm sure she would have loved being a grandmother and I would have loved having her advice on raising children.  


Although I was just a young girl when she died, I learned things from her that she may not have even been aware that she was teaching me.  Of all the things I learned, the lesson that has had the most profound affect on me is her love for motherhood and womanhood. 
 Mom liked to sew and made us all matching dresses one year

Mom in her early married days

Me and my mom
I love that she is wearing a hat and gloves

this is me coming home from the hospital.  Can you imagine driving  home with your newborn  ON YOUR LAP???

 I am so grateful for the memories I have of her and look forward to the day when we can renew our relationship again.

9 comments:

Cynthia said...

Love those pictures. I was thinking about mom this week too. I hadn't calculated how old she would have been though.
Hey lets make matching dresses in her honor !
ps - I don't know how we survived without car seats. I did have to have stiches in the back of my head when I was a toddler. I was standing on the backseat of the car when it stopped fast and I fell onto the floor and cut my head. Luckily that was all :(

Rebecca Carter said...

Thanks for sharing those pictures, Lauri! I will e-mail you.

Hugs,

Rebecca

Kris said...

What nice memories! She was a beautiful lady.....like you!

Kelly said...

Your mother was beautiful! I loved this post- and I love the pictures- especially the car one!! ha ha
PS- Katie and I were in a group in RS today where we talked about those waiting for us and how they are hoping we keep enduring so we can be together someday. This just reaffirms that! Thank yoU!

Debbie Jones said...

Thanks for your post. Today (Sunday) is 99th anniversary of my dad's birth. I have been thinking about him a bit today, so your post really hit a tender spot for me. Thanks.

sharon kaye said...

That is beautiful. It really will be a joyful reunion someday with her!

sharon kaye said...

What a beautiful post. It will be a joyful reunion with her someday!

Sheryl said...

I loved this. You have always been a reflection of your mom, in all your gifts and talents, your spirit. I know she is smiling at the wonderful woman you are. My mom is 78 this year, and she just moved in with me this month. It is the first time to really spend quality time with her since I married. So I am loving it, and appreciate it more having read your post today! :)

Genn said...

I loved reading this post Lauri.
Your Mom was beautiful, like you!
I love the picture of her with you in her hat and gloves. So chic.
Loved reading about some of the things you learned from her too.