Tuesday, April 29, 2008

much to my chagrin...

The real reason Katie wanted me to start a blog is so that she could TAG me...seriously. So she tagged me to share an embarrassing story and I know that she wants me to share a story that happened in one of my classes a few months ago. Actually Katie, there are those who still believe I'm a classy woman so I refuse to incriminate myself on the world wide web. This story will have to do:


When I was growing up, my father and uncle owned a family clothing store in the booming community of Winslow, Arizona--very upscale, as you can imagine. Often I worked at the store in the summer time to earn extra money for the school year. I never got the privilege of running a cash register...maybe my sibblings did, but I had to work the stock room or fulfill other unpleasant assignments.


One fall, the store was having a Buster Brown promotion. Some of you younger bloggers won't know what that is, but Buster Brown was a shoe line that our store carried. There was a representative from Buster Brown headquarters coming for the promotion and she asked my father to find someone who could dress up as Buster Brown and greet customers. Guess who got that lucky job? That might not seem terribly embarrassing, especially to Katie who LOVES to dress up but I hated it then and still hate dressing in costume, so I was mortified and hoped that none of my friends showed up at the store that Saturday. Of course, that was the day that half of the high school decided to shop at Whipples of Winslow. They were still buzzing about the Buster Brown girl when I got to school on Monday.


Here is what Buster Brown looks like:

Here I what I looked like as Buster Brown:

When I got out this picture, I was reminded that I even took a friend along...misery loves company. Was I closing my eyes hoping that "if I can't see you, you can't see me?"

I'm going to tag Cindy. I'm sure between you and your girls, you have some great stories to share.

*side note to Sharon Kaye. I laughed when you said that it took you hours to figure out how to post a comment. You're half way there; just a few more easy steps and you can start your own blog.



5 comments:

everyday katie said...

OH mom...this is much worse than your other story. Especially because it includes a picture. Even I would have been embarrassed by that. In fact, I'm embarrassed for you now as I'm laughing my head off.

Kelly said...

That is a very funny picture, and you get double kudos for posting it!! I have yet to post my moment, but rest assured, there is no photo involved!! My dad sold buster brown shoes for years and years- that's how I know of them! Thanks for sharing!

jeanine said...

I love that you posted a picture! I too would have been mortified.

Cynthia said...

What I love about your photo is that I can click on it and ENLARGE it to show it to everyone in the room!

Anonymous said...

Well, this brings back so many memories. I remember working at the store to. Do you remember one Christmas Dad put us wrapping presents for customers, and came to see how we were doing, and we had not been taking off the price tags. I love the Buster Brown picture of you and Bernie. I'm signed in as Nanna, but this is Debie. :-)