Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Another day...another dollar


I have written before about some of my experiences as a substitute teacher. I have found that I am most comfortable with middle school students and that is where I primarily teach. However, every now and then, I get called in to work at either the high school or an elementary school. I dread the days I have to work at an elementary school. Today I taught a first grade class...24 six year olds and me. Let me first say that I'm EXHAUSTED!!!!!


I got a call at 5:15 in the morning telling me that this teacher had gone in to early labor and the long term substitute (who already knew the classroom procedures) had a sick child. I knew when I got there, there would not be lesson plans and I would have to do a lot of improvising. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the teacher had left very detailed lesson plans. However, none of her copies were made yet (no problem) nor could I find any of the masters. I found another teacher to help me locate everything. I thought I was well prepared for the students but here are some of the highlights:



  • within 5 minutes of the kids coming in to class, a little boy needs to go to the nurse because he has a "froggy voice." This is very typical of little children with a substitute.
  • A little girl came up to me trying very hard not to cry because it's her birthday today and the teacher always gives the birthday child a special hat to wear. I had no idea where they were nor did I know it was her birthday.
  • During snack time, while graham crackers were being passed out, a child told me he didn't want "graham crappers."
  • I had a little girl wet her pants
  • I had a child throw up in the library...then go hide. After that several children told me they had stomach aches and I sent them immediately to the nurse because I didn't want to take any chances of another eruption.
  • A child had an absolute meltdown at recess because some of the students were going the wrong way on the monkey bars.
  • Teachers can't leave until all of the children are either on the bus or their parent has picked them up...of course! But some parents were more than 30 minutes late. UGH!

I will take a hormonal 7th grader any day over a needy 1st grader.

15 comments:

jeanine said...

Wow... what a day! I bet it's traumatic though when you look forward all year to getting that special hat and then there's a sub!
I don't think I could do junior high or 1st grade. I always thought I would have taught 4th.

Kris said...

Oh Mrs. Benson.....I am SO sorry. Put your feet up and watch a nice movie.
Ugh!

everyday katie said...

here! here! I'm sure you don't get paid nearly enough to sub in a first grade class. I'd take junior high kid over first grade in a heart beat.

Though, those were some good stories.

six year olds...YUCK!

Kelly said...

That was fun to read!! Leah is a first grader, and I can only imagine what she and other students say to their teacher daily, nonetheless to the sub! I love subbing!! I have subbed 1st grade before, and had such fun- though 2nd grade and up are my favorites! I love the little ones, the older ones are too annoying- they think they are funny and I think they are annoying! Sorry for your day- I would trade ya if I could!

Cynthia said...

Second grade is my favorite. They can tie their own shoes, can generally tell you where things are that you need, they don't get so nervous when their teacher is gone, they can read directions and write on their own, and they are not old enough to know they can cheat, play tricks on the substitute or fake sick to go to the nurse.
(sorry your day did not involve "fake" sick. yuck!)
And I agree with Katie - not nearly enough of a paycheck. That list should have been what you experienced all week, not one day.

Debbie Jones said...

As a teacher myself, I can't say enough good about substitute teachers! You rock (and you deserve a lot more money than you make)!!

Sheryl said...

You know how horses and dogs can feel your fear, and act accordingly? Gotta watch out for those 1st graders!

lizzyandpop said...

I was subbing at the Jr. High today. All of the students had packed their things as had I just waiting to rush OUT of that school and home. Two minutes before the bell we were notified that it was a lockdown. Only one girl couldn't locate a parent (students had to have parents come and pick them up)- thus it would be she and me together FOREVER!!!! She finally located her father who was at the dentist. I was perilously close to DEMANDING she tell her father GET OUT of the dentist chair and come and claim his kid. I restrained myself. Well Lauri, at least the money is good.

Genn said...

That really was a crazy day! I had to laugh, although I am sure none of it was funny at the time! "froggy voice", that's a good one. And the vomit in the library, OH, I could not handle that! Yes, I think if I had to teach, which I would never have the patience to do, but so appreciate those that do...I would want to teach 12th graders! =) Or maybe even college.
Hope you don't have to deal with 1st graders again anytime soon!!

Amanda B. said...

Yikes! makes me tired just reading it! But, you know...as much as I abhor vomit.. I might still take that over a hormonal 7th grader. I have learned a lot subbing in YW, but teenagers still scare me. At least with vomit, you know what you have to do- clean it up, send the kid home. With a teenager...well, who really knows what the heck to do with them? I certainly dont..... :) ha ha!

Anonymous said...

As I read your "teaching stories" it makes me happy I am an Office Manager for "big" people :-)

Debie

Kelly said...

I'm with you! I don't think I could handle 24 six year olds! Sounds like you were a trooper though!

sharon kaye said...

If it makes you feel any better, I think first grade is the hardest grade to teach. My friend who has taught several years (2nd and 3rd grades) started teaching 1st grade this year. She said it has been so hard that it has made her question if she even wants to be a teacher! My very favorite grade to teach is 2nd grade. My second favorite is Kindergarten. But 1st grade--no way.

Natalie said...

I am laughing soooo hard right now. I needed a good laugh today...you see I have one of those 1st graders and a kindergartener and a pre-schooler and an almost terrible two-er!! Yes so I can relate to your day. Chaos I agree and constant need, need, need. Guess I better keep on laughin' cause my day doesn't end for another few years... boohoohoo. hahahaha

amelia said...

Despite your headache, it makes for a good laugh, right? Well, you provided me with a good laugh.