Thursday, May 21, 2009

An Evening of Art in the Desert


Last night a few of my friends and I meandered around the Desert Botanical Gardens for a few hours. The artist, Chihuly, has had his work on display for 6 months and we've been talking about going but since the exhibit is leaving next week, we thought we'd better take advantage of it. It was cool evening and the artwork was absolutely spectacular (these pictures don't even do it justice). We got there in the late afternoon and then enjoyed the pieces as the sun went down and the lights went on.

All of his work is hand blown glass. Here's a sampling of what we saw:

















10 comments:

Kris said...

Lauri, Do you live near Tempe? Another friend had the same post. Actually, it is my friend's brother and sister in law. But she had the same thing on her blog, with one of the same photos. They live in Tempe.

Lauri said...

Kris,

Yes,Tempe is the next city west of here...only about 15 minutes away.

Debbie Jones said...

Very cool. I sure wish I had gotten over there to see that...maybe this weekend. Thanks for the idea.

Cynthia said...

I went for an evening in December. It was so absolutely gorgeous! I saw one of Chihuly's exhibits at the art museum a few years ago too. He is one of my favorite artists. It was displayed so fabulously in the botanical garden wasn't it?

Amanda B. said...

How cool! Chihuly has come to Ohio before and I always say I would like to go but ave yet to make it. Those are amazing!

Sheryl said...

So very cool!! Love that big sunbursty thing!!

Kelly said...

Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Wow, spectacular pictures! It must have really been fun to see in person because it was fun in pictures. I'm glad to hear the evenings are still cool!

amelia said...

These are BEAUTIFUL! Oh, I want one. I'm sure they cost a mini fortune, but so cool!

Autumn said...

Those are SO cool!! Good luck on your job hunt! And what a fun trip to CA!