Thursday, December 10, 2009

Here we Come a Caroling

I read this tag on Amanda's blog and knew I had to join in, especially after I read Katie's take on it. You're supposed to list your top five Christmas song favorites as well as the one that makes you turn off the radio. Let me preface this by saying two things. 1) I love, Love, LOVE Christmas music of all kinds. It brings back so many memories. 2). There is a difference between a Christmas song and a Christmas carol, which I think are the more sacred hymns that tell of the birth of the Savior. So I am taking liberties with this tag and making several lists.

TOP 5 CHRISTMAS CAROLS
1. Silent Night--This tells the story of the Savior's birth so beautifully and simply
2. Away in a Manger--there are many versions of this one but the one I like best is the version the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings.
3. Angels we Have Heard on High--Love singing it!
4. Far, Far Away on Judea's Plains--I think I like this because I remember Kevin singing this one at church and it reminded him of his mission in Central America. When we got to the words, "Glory to God...." he'd sing in Spanish, "Gloria a Dios..." (I think those are the Spanish words). Anyway, that hymn reminds me of how much he loved the song.
5. And a new one that I have discovered in the past several years is "Angel's Carol." Look this one up, it's beautiful.

TOP 5 CHRISTMAS SONGS
1. Santa Baby--Don't judge! I just like this song and some day I'm going it perform it LIVE. And be prepared...there will be a feather boa involved.
2. Jingle Bell Rock--When I was in High School, we did a dance to this for a half time show for something or other. I learned to do the swing to this dance.
3. Christmas Without You (Dolly Parton/Kenny Rogers). You need to You Tube this one and watch the cheesy video of it. It has become one of my favorites.
4. The entire Osmond Christmas Album from the late 1970's. A classic in my book!
5. Amy Grant's Christmas to Remember. I love every song on that album.

THE ONES I'D RATHER NOT LISTEN TO
1. Santa Got Run Over by a Reindeer
2. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
3. We Three Kings
4. Any Christmas album produced simply because it's Christmastime (Dude, Niel Diamond--you're Jewish--why are you making a Christmas album?!)
That's all I could come up with...Katie, I even like "Last Christmas"

Anyone else want to play along?

5 comments:

everyday katie said...

Last Christmas? You've gotta be freakin' kidding me!!!

Angels We Have Heard on High....It's the alto line, isn't it? That's why I like it, too.

I Like Far Far Away on Judea's Plains a lot. It doesn't get sung enough.

And Santa Baby... I was gonna say "Couldn't you just see my mom singing this?" But opted not to. But you stepped up and admitted to it yourself.

I like some of the Osmond's songs, too. But I couldn't fess up on my own blog. Hopefully not as many people read your comments.

Kris said...

I enjoyed this post, as I did Katie's too. Funny how we all have such different taste!!!

Amanda B. said...

So interesting!!! Thanks for playing! You are right that there is a difference between Christmas songs and carols(hymns). I like pretty much all of the hymns. Those favorites you chose- I could see you singing those :) They are fun songs!

Curtis Whipple said...

I like the Osmonds Christmas album too but the original version never made it to digital. The CD re-issue in the late 80's/early 90s was missing most of the carols. It wasn't the original record company on the re-issue. Kay Thompson's Jingle Bells is classic!

Curtis Whipple said...

One more thing- Dennis DeYoung's "When I hear a Christmas song" is a new classic.