Thursday, July 14, 2011

Cheap Entertainment


Last week at the hospital, this is part of a conversation I overheard...I could only hear one side of it: (keep in mind that Mike is at a nursing facility)

Nurse: You need to take your dentures out so we can clean them
Nurse: You take them out and I will brush them for you
Nurse: Go ahead...take them out
Nurse: It's time for bed, you need to take out your dentures for the night
Nurse: Either you take them out or I take them out
Nurse: Come on, take them out
Nurse: If I take them out, it may hurt more
(long pause)
Patient: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

As pathetic as it is, it makes for some good entertainment on occasion. On a positive note, Mike is being treated well there. The other patients like him (probably because he's 50 years younger than most of them).

On the brighter side, I had a get-away for my birthday a few weeks ago. My aunt and uncle have a time share in Sedona, Arizona and let me use it. I took my sister-in-law, Debbie with me and another friend met us there the next day. While it was 118 degrees in Phoenix, it was a "cool" 105 in the mountains. Needless to say, we didn't do much hiking or exploring. However, we spent a good amount of time in the pool (beautiful views of the red rock mountains), eating, shopping, and laughing. Because it was the 4th of July weekend, this military band was playing one afternoon as we were walking down the street. Of course we stopped and listened as well as sang along!


And this Dixieland Jazz band entertained us later that evening.



The weekend ended with a quick trip to Gap Outlet on the way home, then being stuck for 2 1/2 hours in a long line of cars while we went 8 miles (Bad accident).

I just love having my birthday close to July 4th. I'm not sure when this happened but I have decided that my birthday begins on the morning of July 2 and doesn't end until the last fire cracker goes off on July 4th. Somehow I have seemed to convince everyone that that is the case. My nieces and nephews and their friends were singing HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me at 10:00 on July 4th after the fireworks....and then the party was over.

7 comments:

Cynthia said...

It's just wrong to go up into the mountains and not be able to enjoy the outdoors because it over 100 degrees!! Just wrong.
I need to rethink mid-september to get a 3 day holiday out of my birthday. Maybe I'll start with 2 days and work from there. You've got a good thing going for yours. Keep it up!

Kris said...

Happy birthday to you!! Sounds like you had a nice weekend!!!!

Genn said...

Happy Birthday Lauri!
Sounds like it was a fun weekend getaway.

The Durfee's said...

oh how fun!!! happy late bday sis b!!

Debbie Jones said...

Your weekend in Sedona sounds like fun. You should try to go back in the fall because there are some beautiful hikes up there. Belated Happy Birthday to you as well. Have a wonderful, positive year.

Amanda B. said...

LOVE the conversation you overheard! ha ha!!!

Summer said...

Your birthday only lasts 2 days? I stretch mine out for a good week! Hey, it's only once a year. Gotta milk it for all it's worth!