Being single, of course has its down side...like 1) if the check book doesn't balance, it's always my fault, 2) I am the one who ALWAYS has to take the trash can out to the street, 3) If I choke on a piece of meat, there is no one here to give me the Heimlich, 4) There's no one here to tell me if what I'm wearing looks ridiculous. And the list could go on. But I'm going to list some of the perks of single life.
1. I can turn up the music loud enough to rattle the windows and no one complains
2. I can (and sometimes do) put my PJ's on at 5:00 in the afternoon
3. I can eat cereal for dinner...or have no dinner if I don't feel like making it
4. I get to watch whatever I want to watch on TV
5. I can take up the entire bed when I go to sleep
6. I only have to do laundry once a week
7. I can spend money on whatever I want (and need) without concern for anyone else
8. I can break in to singing at any time and no one laughs at me
9. If I want to stop and go somewhere on the way home from work, it doesn't mess up anyone's schedule
10. It's easy to have a non-contentious home because there's no one to be contentious with.
Well you get the idea... but do you see a pattern forming? ME, ME, ME, ME. My life has become all about me. I've become a self absorbed person.
HELLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPP!
Alex is 17!
4 months ago
11 comments:
You've BECOME self-absorbed? Really mom? REALLY?
ENJOY IT!!!
A friend was recently talking about her husband giving her a birthday gift and it was to hold the remote control all day. But she then said he had to leave the room because it was driving him crazy. We all laughed because we could totally relate. But our single friend was horrified. "I thought you just had to discuss and compromise on the major issues in a marriage."
(Yeah, major things like television programs, dinner schedules, thermostat levels, blankets on the bed, volume of music, type of music, etc. etc. etc.)
My point is - you are one LUCKY DUCK!
I don't believe YOU of all people have become self-absorbed! I say enjoy it too! In fact, I'm a little envious of some of the 'single' things you get to do. I want to not have to make dinner, or not have to worry about anyone but me, and watch what I want to on TV... not Elmo, or Backyardigans... and that list goes on and on. Enjoy it.. and go on some dates so dinner will be made for you!
I do so enjoy your take on life. Another perk...you can do a blog post whenever you want without waiting for someone else who is monopolizing the computer that night. (Not that this ever happens at our house...)
I agree with everyone else, enjoy it while you can!! This single life may not be forever, but treasure the simplicity of the time you have alone- we all relish the thought. I don't think you could ever be self-absorbed- you are too good for that!
Most definitely some perks! I have to say I envy some of those. The dinner thing would be my #1. I am a cereal for dinner but Jake is not. :(
PUHLEEZE..... I do NOT believe you, not even for one second! Liar, liar, pants on fire!!
Funny though.
Funny! I have the opposite problem. They, they, they, they, they need... Leaves little time for me, me, me, me.
p.s. your are so not self-absorbed and I could list numerous examples.
You don't need help! Embrace it! I love that list! You have earned being a little self absorbed ( really, I don't believe it for a minute!!)- you raised 3 wonderful kids. You aren't doing anything wrong! And, I know you are an excellent grandmother!
I'd have to see it to believe it! I think you along with the empty nesters would like it not to have to be that way, but after a life of giving and giving, there are some perks to being a gramma...and it truly may not always be that way!
It's good that you're in tune with your self absorption problem, Lauri - I WAS going to mention it on our next walk.
Post a Comment