Saturday, September 26, 2009

Six years and counting

This weekend makes six years that I've lived in Arizona. Making the move to Arizona was a difficult one for me. We had lived in Corona for 20 years. We raised our children there. I loved being able to go the grocery store or football game or post office and run into someone I knew. After Kevin died, it seemed to be the last bit of continuity in my life.

But at the same time, I knew I needed to make some changes. I started thinking about what direction I wanted my life to take and what my next step was. I made plans to move to Salt Lake City, Utah. It seemed like a good place for me. But one door after another started to close and it was obvious that wasn't where I was to go. When the last door closed, I threw myself onto my bed in hysteria and cried, "now what?!"

Very clearly, the inspiration came that I needed to move to Arizona. I'm sure that seemed obvious to everyone but me...after all, all my family is here...but it was really the last place I wanted to live. However, I had no other options. My house in Corona sold that weekend and I had 30 days to be out of the house. Two days later, I was on an airplane to Phoenix to look for a home. I told the realtor that I HAD to find a house that day and it had to be available for me to move into it in 30 days. He sort of rolled his eyes at me but I told him that Heavenly Father was directing this move and it WOULD happen. As it turned out, this was the third house I walked in to and I knew it was the one for me. After some negotiations, the house was in escrow and I went home and packed up my house, sent Jeff off on his mission, and was on my way to Arizona.

Making a move by yourself is really tough. I had to re-establish who I was. No one here would know me as a wife or a mother. I was moving here as a single woman and I didn't want that to be my entire identity. Although the change was difficult, it has been good. I have made some wonderful new friends, both married and single. I am comfortable here. I love my home.

Arizona suits me.

14 comments:

Rebecca Carter said...

Lauri,

I am so grateful that our paths crossed. You have been and are a stellar example to me of faith, good cheer and perseverance. And I love you for that! I just wish I had been in Arizona longer after you arrived. Well, good thing that heaven awaits all of us and I think transportation there is free!

Hugs across the miles,

Rebecca

Genn said...

Lauri,
You are such a strong and courageous woman. I can't imagine moving somewhere new and having to re establish myself. You should be proud of how far you've come. I'm glad that you are happy in Arizona.

Kris said...

Wow. Doing that, takes a very strong, and confident woman. I know you are well suited to your surroundings, and being close to family is such a comfort. For me, the weather would be the hardest adjustment. And I find myself dreaming of a cooler climate all the time. But home is where your people are!

Roberts Family Ramblings said...

What an example of faith! You have taught me sooo much in the past 6 years and I am blessed to call you my friend!

everyday katie said...

IT really does suit you. I can't imagine you anywhere else.

Though I recognized that moving alone was a big deal, I didn't quite understand how big. Now that I'm in the business of moving, I can better understand how hard that must have been.

Kelly said...

I love that Arizona suits you- I wish it could suit me!! Someday, perhaps!!
Love that you have made such remarakble strides there- and OH, I soooo love your new profile pic- your hair looks fabulous!

Curtis Whipple said...

Yes... just go off and leave us alone in CA. We had to come too! We have been here 3 yrs this month.

Cynthia said...

I'll always be glad you are in Arizona.

Sheryl said...

although there is a definite empty space here in CA, it is good to know that you are comfy and happy there. 6 years...my how time flys when you are busy serving, teaching, growing, learning, sharing, inspiring! Miss our laughs! Spent a little time with Vickie and Kelly this weekend - REALLY missed you!

Debbie Jones said...

We've been in Arizona eight years this month...I'm glad you moved here because I had the opportunity to get to know you better after knowing you only in passing in Corona. You are an example to me, as I know you are to others. I love your consistently upbeat comments about your life on your blog.

Kelly said...

What a hard change that move must have been. But it looks like that move was a great decision. You've come so far and accomplished so much. Kudos to you!

Natalie said...

Your story makes me so grateful that I have the gospel and all that encompasses in my life. We are dealt such trying circumstances at times and if it were not for the infinite goodness of our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, directing us if we will listen, these challenges would be miserable and lonely. I'm proud of you for listening even when the answer was not what you wanted.
And I am so glad you love where you are.

sharon kaye said...

It's hard to believe you have been gone 6 years. I think of you often and miss you. You blessed my life in so many ways. I'm glad you are happy and doing so well in Arizona.

cindy said...

I knew I was sad this week for some reason. I remember that day you drove away. Didn't I follow you out to the freeway. I hated saying goodbye to my best friend, my walking partner, my shrink and my sounding board. I know it was the right thing for you but I am still trying to get use to it. I know there are days when Wayne wishes I had you around.
Arizona has been great for you and things have worked out perfectly for you. You always have been a great example to me of following the spirit and doing it with patience and faith.

Love you and miss you always.