Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Where the Wild Things Are

Well...apparently, they're in my SEWING ROOM!


I tend to be quite conservative in my decorating. I can walk from room to room in my house and there is a flow of color, style, and emotion. People always comment how peaceful my house feels. I love that about my home.


But blogging has opened up a whole new world to me. As I've looked at some of the fun decorating blogs, I've see some new ideas so I decided to devote one room of my house to Spunk and Fun and COLOR! By using mostly what I already had, a trip to the thrift store, some paint, and a little bit of fabric, I was able to re-do my sewing room in a way I've never decorated before.


1. Old lamp/new lamp.


I applied a quick coat of spray paint to the base then googled how to cover a lampshade and followed the simple directions. (All you need is some spray adhesive). Then I hot glued the trim to cover up the raw edges. It was way easier than I thought it would be.

2. Bulletin Board re-do

I took an old cork board that has been around probably since my kids were little and painted the frame, glued the edges of the fabric on, then added trim to cover mistakes. You can go here for a tutorial.

3. I found this chair at Goodwill for only $4.98. It was a solid, sturdy wooden chair, just needed some lovin'. Check out this transformation:


4. Credenza...I had the most fun with this piece. This is a piece that Kevin made years ago and was in one of the kids bedroom. It is a great place for storage but it was boring.

I got some scrapbook paper and modge-podged it right in to the centers of each door. The problem I had, though, was that this scrapbook paper didn't have a repeat pattern but that is only noticeable to me.


5. This armoire was Free! (does this look familiar, Brittnee?)

Now before you all get upset that I painted a beautiful piece of cherry wood. Please know that this was pressed board, not real wood. I usually don't paint real, solid wood furniture.







I wanted it to be a bright teal color (I'm not sure my camera shows it's true color). You have to hear the story of me getting it in to the house. I painted it outside and was just going to leave it there until I could get someone to help me move it in. But I got impatient. At about 10:00 P.M. So I attached it to a dollie and started pulling it in to the house. Only problem was, I couldn't get it over the door jam. After about 15 minutes of trying, I decided to try another door. Much easier...it went right over the door. Yahoo! It was now in the house. So I started pulling it down the hall and made several gouges in the walls and door frames. Yep, there was teal paint in several places down my hall not to mention the lack of paint that was now on the armoire. But finally by 11:00, it was in place. I decided to do the touch up paint that was now required the next day.

6. And finally, the desk. This also is a little desk that Kevin made for the kids years ago but it works perfectly for my sewing machine. Oh, and check out the great quilt hanging on the wall behind it. Katie made that several years ago for me. What you can't see is that it says, When life gets hard and brings the blues...shop for, shop for, shop for SHOES! That was our motto for a few years.



So here is the view when I stand in the doorway: If any of you are clicking to enlarge these photos...yes, I do have to fill the holes from the previous handles. I was just getting too anxious to post this.




Cindy, do you remember that picture? You made it for me when I got married more than 30 years ago. It made a come back in my new room.

I think I'll be doing a lot more sewing now...I love this room!

19 comments:

everyday katie said...

Ahhh! I love it. Did you paint that floor lamp, too? I LOVE the zebra lamp. My favorite part is the armoir. Now I'm REALLY dying to paint mine (the one Dad made). And the bulletin board makes a big difference, too. What a transformation! The room looks COMPLETELY different.

I'm jealous. I need to get some decorating done.

Very fun.

Kelly said...

I am jealous too- what a fun room- I don't even sew but would love to come and just chill out in there! Love all the transformations- you have given me tons and tons of ideas!! thanks!!

Cynthia said...

You crack me up with the furniture moving in the middle of the night.
I love the room, those really are some bright fun colors, but how perfect for a sewing room where all your creative juices will be flowing as you're sewing!

Kelly said...

i love the green zebra print! you did great! I like your braveness!

The Durfee's said...

how come you never taught us how to be cute in young womens...!!! I need to hire you to be my personal home decor lady!!

Genn said...

What a transformation!! I love everything. It looks like a fun room to spend some time crafting in. My favorite change was the armoire and the long dresser with the scrapbook paper on the front. I love that. Way to get creative!

Melissa + Brett said...

Oh my goodness! You have been busy! I LOVE the credenza. It is adorable! CUTE ROOM! A+++++++

Ashlee Martin Smith said...

AMAZING!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

This room is the greatest...I LOVE all the color! My favorite pieces are the armoire and the darling little chair and I love those two colors together. You have done a wonderful job...I think a new profession is beginning to take shape????

Kris said...

Oh my! where to begin? I LOVE the quilt! Good job Katie! And I love the repurposed pieces for your new room. And the fun, vibrant colors are great! The lamp redone is darling.....and the desk.....so cute. The chair.....love it! Hey..one last thing.....that three tier lime green trays....did you get them at Costco? I saw those a couple months ago, bought one thinking it would be perfect for serving the appetizers for Erika's wedding, since she is doing lime green and brown. Meant to get right back there for more, and a few days later...they were ALL GONE!!!! I may ask to borrow it!!!! Love the room. Now, let's sew!!!!!!
PS I will do a sewing room post after I repaint the lower half!

Debbie Jones said...

Fabulous! What a fun room. Thanks for sharing! I love the colors and creative ways you made old things new.

Unknown said...

Love it , Love it, Love it! You are so clever

Megan said...

I love it! I need you and Debbie to come out to Utah and help me out! You guys are awesome!

Curtis Whipple said...

You know... I live about 2 1/2 minutes away. You can call me for my furniture moving skillz anytime.

Natalie said...

FANTASTIC job! I was laughing so hard picturing you bringing that huge piece of furniture in by your self at 10 at night. Sounds like me when I am 8 months pregnant and want the house rearranged.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You've been busy! Love the fact that you've committed to color. Great transformations!
pk @ Room Remix

Shan @ Design Gal said...

Great job! LOVE that armoire!

Autumn said...

I love the transformations! Paint is a grand thing. What a cozy room. Fun treats for Erin too. And yummy apples!

amelia said...

You are so creative! This has inspired me to redo something...