Saturday, August 20, 2011

It was the best of times...it was the worst of times

Note: Not actual photo of my yard sale

GOOD: I had my first yard sale ever. A friend and I decided to de-junk our houses and make some money.

BAD: As we were setting up Friday night, I moved some stones that I wanted to sell. One of them hit my water faucet just wrong and water started spewing everywhere. Seriously, I had a geyser in my back yard.

GOOD: One of my brothers lives close by and I called him to come and turn off the water. This wasn't a simple thing (the kind I know how to fix)...he had to shut off the water main to the house. Thank goodness he happened to be home and could come to my rescue. I also ran over to my other brother's house at 10:30 p.m. to take a shower after being so hot from setting up the yard sale stuff.

BAD: No water through the night. Luckily I had plenty of drinking water. Even the dog got to drink bottled water.

GOOD: Plenty of people at our yard sale. We had people lined up at 6:00 a.m. wanting to come and see what we were selling. It's amazing what junk people will buy.

BAD: We didn't have time to eat any breakfast because it started an hour earlier than we planned on. We were FAMISHED!

GOOD: I have a wonderful neighbor across the street who always shows up with food at the perfect time. She came over with a plate of hot pancakes and syrup for us at about 10:00. She's so intuitive!

BAD: We planned on being finished at 11:00 but people were still coming until after 12.

GOOD: I made $300+ dollars

BAD: Half of it went to the plumber who fixed my broken pipe

GOOD: I took a long, cold shower...at my house after we were finished. A shower never felt so good.

10 comments:

Ashlee Martin Smith said...

I wish I could have been there! I would have bought everything!! I can't imagine that you've ever had anything that even came close to resembling junk in your house so I bet it was a killer yard sale!! Glad your water's back on!

Kris said...

I like your good vs. bad post. I have one coming up too. And too bad about your broken water pipe. Plumbing troubles are the worst. Thank heavens for brothers, and for wonderful neighbors, eh?

Kelly said...

Great post/bad post! Loved it and making money is always fun, even when famished, well...$300 in a few hours = not bad!! Glad the water is working!

everyday katie said...

That stinks so bad! The fun of a garage sale is free money. (Sort of free anyway.) I'm so sorry you had to spend your earnings to fix the pipe...that wouldn't have been broken had you not had a garage sale.

Summer said...

If I knew you girls were famished I would have brought more pancakes! It was fun to go shopping right across the street. So excited about the headboard! I'll show you the finished product when I'm done.

Kris said...

How fun would that be to buy YOUR junk and to contribute to the healing of your waters.
I am guessing that if you had put your mind to it YOU could have fixed that water pipe. I have done it before...but it was really hard. On second thought paying someone may have been very wise especially considering the yard sale.
Isn't running water a tremendous blessing?

Debbie Jones said...

I LOVE yard sales. Wish I would have known you were having one...I would have come up. Cute post.

Cynthia said...

The only thing I don't get is what you were selling that broke your pipe. Do you really have such cool stuff at your house that you were selling rocks out of your back yard too?? Awesome!

Natty by Design said...

Ooooh, wish I would've known. I'd love to buy your de-junking goods :)

sharon kaye said...

What an adventure. Life just has a way not going quite the way we have planned!