Friday, June 20, 2008

Feliz Cumpleanos


June 21, 1980, My life changed...forever! I became a mom for the first time. My due date wasn't' until July 2...my birthday...so when I began labor on June 20, I thought I had acid indigestion from the Mexican food I'd eaten for dinner, I certainly wasn't thinking baby yet. Michael came into the world on the first day of summer at 7:10 AM weighing in at 7 lbs 14 oz. (This picture was when he was about 6 weeks old)



Wasn't he a cute little boy? When Michael was about 2 years old, he was tenderly looking at the nativity set I had set out at Christmas. He picked up each piece and studied it. Then he picked up Mary and stood her by a lamb and started singing, "Mary had a Little Lamb."







Michael loved cub scouts. This was the pinewood derby...he won 2nd place.

He thought scouts was so much fun, he put together a junior cubscout program for his little brother, Jeff.

When Michael graduated from 8th grade, he went on a school-sponsored trip to Washington DC. I went along as a chaperon, much to his chagrin. The day we were flying home, he said to me, "mom, all my friends think you're real cool." I guess that thought had never occured to him.

Corona High School Marching Band.


Going off to a church dance. We had just returned from a trip to Hawaii.




Earning his Eagle Scout award.







Michael played high school football. This picture was taking his freshman year. Look at those little arms coming out from those HUGE shoulder pads.














High School Graduation. YIPPEE!





This was the day Michael left on his mission. I remember it as a day of joy but when I look at the picture, I'm obviously crying.
Michael served in the Utica New York mission.











Michael loves his nephews!



















Michael is a great young man. He's got a kind heart and is extremely service oriented. It seems like every time I talk to him, he's fixing some one's computer or car...at no charge. He knows how to fix just about anything (sure wish he lived closer to me!) He knows the scriptures like no one I know and I love having gospel discussions with him. Michael has a keen mind and is a good problem solver. He will make someone a GREAT husband one day.
Love you Michael.
Happy Birthday!








7 comments:

everyday katie said...

Gudde for dei Gebordsdaach...in German in means the same.

Now maybe I don't have to do a flashback. I know I don't have a ton of pictures.

You forgot to mention he is a great brother...willing to drive his sister (and sometimes her friends) to parties and dances so she could go with her cool brother instead of her parents. And, more importantly, he would keep her secrets. Plus it was nice to have a friend along when we took family vacations and stuff.

Happy Birthday Mike.

Kelly said...

That was great!! I can't believe how much Katie looks like you in that first picture of Mike as an infant!! Wow!! He seems wonderful, and I know that he has terrific parents that helped in that!! Hope he has a great birthday!!

Cynthia said...

Happy Birthdy Michael!!!
That is a nice stroll down memory lane.
All your kids are so cute and nice, Lauri.
Probably because they have such a nice and stable and supportive aunt and uncle. haha

Sheryl said...

Happy Birthday to that great man! It is amazing to see how our kids have grown up. Weren't we just surrounded by teenagers yesterday? You and Kevin taught him well. He is definitely a tribute to two great parents!

Autumn said...

Ditto Kelly's thought-that could so be Katie in the first picture. happy birthday

sharon kaye said...

That was fun to see all the old pictures. It's hard to believe that I have known Michael since he was about 5 or 6 years old! Happy Birthday Mike!!!

jeanine said...

Happy Birthday Michael! Hope it was a good one.
And that football picture cracked me up!