
SALLY
April 12, 1934-August 20, 1969
It has been 39 years since my mother died. She was 35 years old and I was 12 when she died. When you're a young child, you always think your parents are old. When I turned 35, I realized just how young she was when she passed away. She still had 4 young children at home ranging in age from 4 to 14.
In the 12 short years that she was a part of my life, she instilled in me a love for womanhood and motherhood. She was a wonderful mother who made our home life a wonderful place to be.
There was always music in our home. Mom played the piano, was the church organist, loved to listen to Robert Goulet or Andy Williams on the record player, and cranked up the music and all of us would dance.
She was a seamstress and when school started, there were always new dresses to start the school year with. I was also the recipient of a huge labor of love when she sewed an entire Barbie wardrobe one Christmas. Everything was perfect right down to the last detail. One year, she learned to knit and knited me, my sister, and my brother beautiful cardigans.
Christmas time was a huge event in our home. Every inch of our home was decorated and it was a magical time for our family. She always made us new pajamas for Christmas Eve and we would eat a special Christmas Eve dinner by candlelight. There was, of course, music and the Christmas story before us kiddos were shuffled off to bed.
My mother had a contagious smile and people were drawn to her because of her goodness and kindness.

It is hard to believe that she would be 74 years old now. How grateful I am to have a mother who taught me so much in such a short amount of time.* my dad died 10 years ago this month. Go here: http://www.halefmly.blogspot.com/ to read a fun post that my sister did about him.
11 comments:
What a lovely tribute. You definitely learned from her, as you are a gracious woman with an incredible sense of humor, and you always have a smile and glow that you cannot help but notice. thank you Sally for passing your goodness on to our Lauri!
Lauri,
I didn't know you lost your Mom so early in life. Yours, and certainly hers as well. You bear a striking resemblance to her, and then I read your sister's blog about your Dad, and saw that you were a good combination of both. Well now, doesn't that just make sense, after all? But so often, kids look so like one or the other, and less often, a real blend it seems. At any rate, lovely tribute.
: ) K
Well, you posted a picture I've never seen of mom before (the one with the cup in her hand). I can't believe she would be 74. That seems weird to me. I felt the same way as you did when I reached age 35. I felt like I was just reaching a good pace in life.
I love your last 2 posts about 2 very important people you lost in your life. What great tributes! I know one thing you definately took after your mom in... Christmas decorating! I remember coming over to play with Katie at Christmas time and you would have 2Christmas trees. I was always jealous! One beautifully decorated one that you did, and one that the family decorated. I love that tradition.
That is one of my worst fears...leaving my kids behind at such a young age. It makes me want to take pictures, scrap, blog, and make home movies all the time. My Dad died when I was 14 and I wish I had a ton of pictures and I have only about 5. This is a great tribute to your Mom and thanks for sharing!
What an amazing women to have instilled so much in such a short time. Very inspiring to me to do better. She was so very young. Wow...
You are certainly someone who has known loss...
Your summer stinks.
What a blessing that she packed so much into those 12 years...that you learned so much from her and have good memories. It definitely puts life into perspective. How important it is to teach your kids NOW.
You could be mirror image of her. I can't believe how much you look like your mom. And you no doubt have so many of her traits...even though she wasn't around for the majority of your life. I need to read her life story again. I LOVED it the first time. I'm sure I would have loved her.
Lauri, I remember seeing a picture of your lovely mom when we were teenagers, I know it has been hard not having her all these years. She truly helped make you the wonderful person, and sister you are today.
Debie
Lauri, your mom was beautiful. I can see so much of her in you. As I have learned a little about her I can see why you are so wonderful too.
Miss you my friend.
Your mom was just lovely- very striking, actually- I can see how people would be drawn to her. You look very much like her and I can tell and see of all the goodness you inherited from her. Time passes so quickly...she seemed just wonderful, thank you for sharing her with us.
Thanks for sharing that tribute and pictures of your mom. I never had the opportunity to know her. She is beautiful, and I love seeing the resemblance to you and your siblings and even Grandma and Grandpa. Families are amazing. Thanks for sharing a little more information about an Aunt I never got to know, but I'm sure I would have loved.
Post a Comment