Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Mmmm-muffins!


I don't know what made me remember this story today but it is certainly worth sharing!


A couple of years ago, I went outside on a cool Fall Saturday morning to get the newspaper. As I opened the door, I found a beautiful basket of individually wrapped muffins on my porch with a note inside. I was anxious to open it up and see who left this wonderful treat for me. I was mortified when I began reading. It went something like this:


You don't know us but we definitely know you. Last year, my children came trick or treating at your house and you not only refused to give them candy, but you also screamed at them telling them they were too old to trick or treat. They came back out to the car very upset and crying. I should have got out of my car right then and there and let you have a piece of my mind. Instead, all year we have let this fester. Every time we drive by your house, we think about the horrible person you are. We even TP'd your house a few months ago (that really happened). We have let this go on long enough and want to be the bigger person, so we are offering you this basket of muffins to let you know we have forgiven you.


Let me just say, I immediately went out and dumped the entire basket in the trash can. Seriously...would you have eaten them? They were probably tainted. For the next several months, every time I went outside, I felt like I was looking over my shoulder wondering which one of my neighbors hated me.


The funny thing was...I have never been home on Halloween. I always go over to my brother's house. Somehow they were holding a grudge against the wrong person for an entire year!
***thanks all of you for thinking I'm a nice person. In truth, my children are probably thinking, "yeah, mom could have really done this." Although I have never refused anyone candy who came to my door OR yelled at them for being too old, I'm not a fan of older children trick or treating and wouldn't let my kids trick or treat after age 12.

14 comments:

jeanine said...

OH NO! I was going to say... I can't imagine you yelling at a bunch of kids that came trick or treating! So sad that they held onto that grudge for so long!

Sheryl said...

You Crack me up! Such a lovely batch of muffins, such a funny story. You are right, straight to the trash for those muffins!

Kris said...

What a crying shame she didn't have the courage to leave her name too. Then you could have settled this poor lady's ill fated grudge for her once and for all. The muffins were pretty, but nobody in their right mind would have taken so much as a nibble. NOW....may I again remind you of a similar story that a dear lady and her husband and children...YOU, did for US one Christmas!!! The Twelve Days of Christmas, with a secret gift left at our door each day, until day 12 you revealed your wonderful selves, with a tray of beautiful Christmas cookies, and carols being sung! I shall never forget it, and it warms my heart every time I remember you all standing there!!! We have carried on this wonderful tradition too!

Genn said...

That is awful! Who would even do that? Good thing you threw them out. I would not dare take a bite. That reminds me of Halloween time when we were still of the trick or treating age, Susan Enlow used to give out crayons to the kids that she thought were too old to be trick or treating! I always thought that was so clever. I don't think they ever turned around and wrote on her driveway with them though!

Traci Elizabeth said...

I busted up laughing...You should have put a huge banner over your garage door saying "thanks for the muffins, but you got the wrong lady"...in your face.

Cynthia said...

I wouldn't take my kids trick or treating at your house either. Mean old Mrs. Benson. haha

Roberts Family Ramblings said...

My mouth is hanging open in horror. Who would do that to you?? Obviously some one who doesn't know you very well. I can't imagine you yelling at anyone. There is no way I would eat those muffins either. What a story!

everyday katie said...

I always think this is funny. THe best part is that the note said they were over it and forgive you. If that were truly the case, they wouldn't have written about all the mean things you did.

Kelly said...

Oh my gosh! That is the funniest thing I've ever heard! At the begining of the story I was thinking, no way! Lauri wouldn't be mean to anyone, even if they really were to old to trick or treat. That is bizarre! I love Traci's idea of the banner over your garage. If they are still so bent over what happened, you would think they would remember what house it was!

Natalie said...

All I have to say is... people are CRAZY!!!!!
And does it even work that way? You can tell someone you forgive them before they ask for your forgiveness? What if they aren't sorry? I'm confused!

Debbie Jones said...

I know you are probably the last person in the world who would be mean to kids on Halloween or any other time. :-) The whole story really says something about human nature though. If only we always took the time to try and see things through the eyes the person we are annoyed at. Thanks for sharing this story and Happy Halloween next month!

Autumn said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously?!!! This is unreal. I agree with Katie 1000%. Forgiven you? So lets remind you of what you did...though you actually didn't. That is so sad! I too would be feeling like I was constantly being watched. I would be so tempted to do something on Halloween-like make a huge poster that says "I'm never here on Halloween, you crazy muffin heads-it wasn't me!" Heck no I wouldn't eat them. I hope they saw you throw them away.

Kelly said...

I am so laughing right now!! That is the funniest thing I have read in days!! Seriously, that is hysterical. I wouldn't have eaten them, either! They probably laced with them with laxatives or something! I Love that it wasn't even your house!! Even better- plus I can't even imagine you doing that!! Katie, maybe, but not you!! Ha ha- kidding of course!

Starla said...

Holy cow! Thanks for the story- teaches ya something for sure. Hope you are doing well, I'm glad I found your blog!