PARKER
Parker turned 4 last week. He is one smart cookie--in fact, I'm not sure how Katie is going to keep him busy this next year since he already seems so ready for kindergarten. He has 2 main interests right now: coloring and playing super heroes. The minute he gets up in the morning, he is coloring and boy does he color well. He uses the right colors in the right places and stays in the lines. Each day, he is a new super hero and wants to be referred to by that name...He was Magneto, Spider Man, Ice Man, Indiana Jones, a Transformer, and many others that I had never heard of nor can I remember. Parker also enjoys playing games and can play quite well. We played CandyLand and Yahtzee Jr. He understands the concepts of taking turns, counting, matching, and sequencing. The new picture at the top of my blog page was taken by Parker. After me taking so many pictures of him, he wanted to use my camera to take a picture of me.
Reid
Reid is now 2 1/2 and is one mischievous little buckaroo. For instance, last night during dinner preparations, while all of our backs were turned, he opened up the jar of garlic salt that was sitting on the counter and started sprinkling the kitchen floor with it. Earlier in the week, Spencer had just taken hamburgers off the grill and brought them inside. Reid and Parker were outside and somehow Reid's prosthetic came off so he decided to put it on the barbecue. Luckily, Katie saw that one right away and saved the leg. Crazy kid! Reid is also a joke teller. His jokes go something like this--Reid: Knock knock. Who's there? Grandma: Who's there? Then he would say any random thing he could think of and just laugh and laugh until he could hardly breathe. That would make me laugh and so he'd tell me another one just like it. Reid copies anything Parker does. If Parker says, "I'm Spiderman", Reid would say, "I'm Spiderman too!" While playing outside with the boys, Reid got on his tricycle but couldn't pedal but after a lot of encouragement, he learned to keep his feet on the pedal and push his feet until the bike moved. He was so excited! When Reid wins the Tour de France, I want it documented that I helped him learn to ride a bike.
GRAYDEN
Here is 9 month old Gray. He is such a good little guy. He is content to explore the house on his own. Whenever he gets the chance, he B-lines for the stairs. It's a good thing they keep a gate in front of it or there would be a lot of nasty falls. Grayden is quite good at copying facial expressions. He can blow raspberries, shake his head, wiggle his nose, and then he claps his hands when he has done a good job. There's nothing quite like the giggles of little babies and I love to hear the ones that Grayden produces. Grayden's bedroom was right next to the guest room so I was often the first one to hear him in the morning. I would get him up and take him in to bed with me for a few minutes so we could have some Grandma/Grayden bonding time (those pictures will DEFINITELY not be posted.)
It was a good visit. Katie and I always have so much fun when we're together. We can never get enough talking in...or singing. When there's music playing, we're both singing and harmonizing (annoying, huh?) I am in awe of her when I see her with her little family. She is such a fun mom and is extremely creative with her boys. She is so far above where I was at that time in my life. AND she always makes good things to eat while I'm there.
I am so glad to have Spencer as a son-in-law. He is the perfect husband for Katie and perfect dad for the crazies. How many dad's put on a cape and play super heroes with their sons? He even made me breakfast this morning...well actually, he didn't make it for me, he made it for him but it was ready when I came downstairs this morning so he gave it to me and made himself more. He too is a good cook...especially when it comes to making chocolate cake from scratch. I live for his cake.
Here are some random pictures from the week.
Parker and Reid were exploring in their front yard. They had a magnifying glass and were looking at their cool finds.
Katie and I took the boys bowling. What a fun experience. Sadly, Parker beat me (no, I didn't LET him win, he really did beat me...and we were even using bumpers.)
Reid's happy dance after rolling the ball down the lane. Look how cool he is...he is wearing his sunglasses inside.
I realize this isn't good photography...I cut off his head...but look at those beautiful blue eyes!
17 comments:
They are just beautiful! I love those little guys and miss them! I am glad you had such a great visit. I know what you mean by Katie being a great mom and very creative. I don't know why she worries about not doing well with this stage- I think she is unbelievable! :) Oh, and by the way- (especially with the pic Parker took) you do NOT look like a grandma!!! (But yet, you are an awesome one! :))
That looks like an amazing trip- I know you all had a great time- I can see it in every picture!! I love how the boys are growing and doing so much- it is fascinating to me to watch kids grow, my own included, but others and those boys are exceptional. I know they love your visits, and I don't blame them, all the fun things they get to do with you, I am jealous! Grandma's get all the fun! Glad you are back and basking in the 112 degree heat today!! Fun times!
Let's hear it for the Gramma of the Boys!! You are a hottie Grams! We had simultanious fabulous gramma days this week didn't we. Ya just don't fully understand how you can lose your heart again until it happens. Love that Katie is such a fabulous mom, and we know exactly where she learned it all from!!
It sounds like you had a WONDERFUL time!!! How fun that you got to spend time with your grandkids and also see Katie's new house. I had all my girls and grandchildren here during the 4th of July week. It was great!!(My girls have pictures on their blogs.) It's just too bad that you nor I get to see our grandchildren as often as we would like.
Hi Lauri,
I guess you had a wonderful time!! How hard it must be to leave! I have been meaning to ask you...what brought you to Arizona??? Great pictures, and great fun with Katie and her Clan!!!
: )
Lauri,
Thanks for explaining. It must have been a hard call to make. But as you said, being around family is so very important. I am glad you there with your siblings. And Jeff near you too.
: )
Looks like it was a fantastic time! I bet those boys love it when you come to visit!
I love hearing Grandparents talk about their grandchildren. There is so much love, it's awesome! Looks like you guys had tons of fun!
You are one proud grandma and you have every reason to be. Those boys are so dear.
What a GREAT post!! I have so many thoughts. First, the picture of you-you are stunning. I am AMAZED at Parker's abilities-photog being first. Truly a grand pic. Katie, I'd love to hear more bragging from you. You've modestly hinted that he's smart. But it sounds like there are volumes you could share that you aren't. I'd love to hear more. How cute about Reid being a little copycat. I love the story about him bbq-ing his leg-or trying. I wish there was a picture of that!!! And Gray sounds so darling.
And I agree, Katie is amazing. I would love to think that I could be so creative with 3 so close-but don't think I would be. Inspiring!
fyi, your picture of Gray isn't bad-that's actually quite the thing now-pictures zooming in-even cutting off-parts of faces, bodies, etc. Look at you-making a statement without knowing it! Now you can say you're ahead of the game-not following it.
Hi Lauri- I'm glad you enjoyed visiting your daughter and grandkids! I bet the week went by so fast. Those boys are so adorable. They seem so smart and well behaved. Katie and Spencer must really know what they are doing! I bet it is incredibly hard to say goodbye...
Hi Lauri,
Thanks for the nice comment on my cookies. I wish you lived here too. I think we could have all sorts of fun together!!!!
Looks like fun! Visits from grandma ( & mom of course) are the best. Oh and I love the hair cut, you do look like a hottie! :)
Reid looks so adorable in his little shirt and tie - however, I see a bit of the devil in him.
Do you have to pad your walls when they come to visit?
What adorable little grandkids! It sounds like you guys have such a great time. I love all the pictures, and by the way, that's an awsome picture of you.
Debie
I'm finally checking out your blog and its so fun! plus it will get me connected to other people, like is that the Holmes? cool! Katie's boys are adorable, and her 4 yr old sounds a lot like mine. Wish they could play. Thanks for checking my blog out! I love being able to connect to people this way. so fun!
You look great!
Post a Comment