Thursday, July 24, 2008

Lizards and Geckos and Scorpions...OH MY!

I have tons of lizards crawling around on my fence. I've never seen one anywhere but my back wall so they don't bother me. I also have Geckos. They come out at night and crawl around on the outside eaves of my house and eat the bugs and spiders. They're great little critters to have around. But tonight I was walking barefoot down my hall and saw something crawling across the floor. When I flipped the light on, I found one of these:


I haven't ever seen a scorpion. In fact, I wasn't sure I knew what they even looked like but when I saw it, I knew immediately. How did I respond to this terrifying experience? Well, I got out my camera so I could take a picture and post it on my blog...and then I stepped on it. But now I'm a little freaked out!

*this is not the picture I took. I was trying not to get too close to it and the picture didn't turn out.

12 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh boy! Kip Robinson ran into one at his house a few weeks ago too. I think it's so funny that you took a picture first. And I'm proud that you stepped on it. I can't even step on a spider because of the 'crunch' sound. It creeps me out. So I vacuum up any spiders or critters I see.

When I was a teenager visiting my grandparents up in Lake County I opened a board game on my lap and out crawled a scorpion on my legs. I brushed it off and my grandma stepped on it. Yikes! I think I would be more scared now then I was then.

Cynthia said...

I remember Grandma Whipple stepped on a scorpion and its tail whipped up over her toe and stung her. I have been afraid stepping on one ever since (on accident or on purpose). I would also be afraid it would crawl away while I got my camera then I wouldn't ever be able to sleep peacefully in my house ever, ever again. You are a brave woman.

Roberts Family Ramblings said...

Ok you scorpion newbee. Here is what you do. Get a pair of barbque tongs, pick it up and take it outside and take a shovel and chop it in half. Sounds cruel I know but that way it doesn't get you.

Kris said...

EWWWWWWW

Genn said...

Yes EWWWWW! I HATE spiders and scorpions and critters of that nature. i hope you don't find anymore!!

Kelly said...

I am having heart palpitations just seeing the scorpion picture!! I am so dying that it was in your hallway!! Aren't they poisonious?! You are so lucky that it didn't sting you!!
Be careful-
I guess that is one of the downsides of living in such a perfect place like AZ!!

everyday katie said...

Mom, that is disgusting. I'm with Cindy. There is no way I would have got my camera for fear that it would have got away. There is no way I could sleep if that happened. I probably couldn't sleep any way. And I am 100% positive I wouldn't have stepped on it.

Just more proof of the strong, independent woman you are.

Just don't expect a visit from us any time soon.

Amanda B. said...

Thank you for making me grateful that I live in Ohio!!!! ICK!!!! And you stepped on it???? wow- I am with Kelly- I have trouble smashing spiders as well because of the crunch sound- I don't think I could have done it. I would have freaked!

lizzyandpop said...

How about I bring my black light over and we can have a scorpion hunt (they glow in under the light)? We do it every few weeks - and usually end up with 3 or 4. We could put it in a jar and take out the innerds (sp) and you could mount it on your wall - that is if you don't already have an elk mounted over your fireplace.

Let me know - I'll be waiting.

Sheryl said...

You Arizona girls are crazy...cameras and blacklights. I am proud that you handled it so well...Scorpions, not a fan!

Natalie said...

In the short nine months we lived there I found two scorpions in our house. One was right next to the baby on the stairs... too scary!
Have fun this school year! I have one more month of laziness before the school year starts and then life gets crazy busy.

Rachel Helton said...

Nice!